Stay tuned for upcoming events, student organization activities, and new resources and opportunities for graduate students!
- Teaching opportunities available for UCSD Graduate Students!!! UCSD Pre-College Programs is recruiting for new instructors and/or courses for UCSD Academic Connections 2017 – which will run from July 9-29! Academic Connections is geared toward high school students and is a three-week residential program. Academic Connections courses are offered Monday through Friday, 5 hours per day for the three week period (75 hours total). You can either teach an existing course or create one of your own. To see the courses offered last year, please go to: http://academicconnections.ucsd.edu/sandiego/courses.cfm. If you click on each course, you can read the course overview.We are also recruiting instructors for the Sally Ride Jr. Academy for Summer 2017, which is geared towards middle and high school students. Sally Ride Science Jr. Academy can be a combination – the Jr. Academy runs for four weeks, but the courses are either am and/or pm and only last for a week, but can be repeated for a two or three week period. The Jr. Academy begins the week of June 26 and runs through Friday, July 21. The courses offered last year can be found at: https://sallyridescience.com/k12-students/junior-academy.Lower Division Transferable College Credit Courses: We are looking for graduate students and post docs to teach the following 15 full college credit courses, approved by the Academic Senate. We are especially interested in instructors for the Winter/Spring Quarter at one of our San Diego Unified School District hub schools. For more information, please contact Robin Wittman at: email@example.com.SAT/ACT Prep Instructors: Have you taught ACT or SAT Prep courses? Would you like to be trained to be able to teach? We are recruiting for grad students to teach SAT or ACT Prep courses throughout the San Diego Region. For further information, please contact Daniel Velazquez at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Parents and Families: ECEC was awarded the CCAMPIS grant from the U.S. Department of Education to support the participation of low-income parents in post-secondary education system through the provision of campus-based child care services. This grant will cover the cost of tuition and after hours care for child care services rendered at UC San Diego’s Early Care and Education Program. The program is designed to serve undergraduates receiving the Pell Grant, however graduate students who meet the Pell eligibility income levels may also be eligible. To do this, interested graduate students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at website https://fafsa.ed.gov/and print the confirmation that displays the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Priority enrollment will be given to those families needing fully subsidized care (EFC of $0) followed by families needing partially subsidized care as classroom spaces become available. UCSD student parents who are active military or veterans also receive enrollment priority.
- AWIS-San Diego Scholarships due 28 Feb 2017 – details are at www.awissd.org/index.php/opportunities/scholarships
- CGTrader Scholarships due 01 June 2017 – details are at https://www.cgtrader.com/scholarships
Mentoring Program Opportunities:
- Mentornet has 2 tracks – STEM and health careers. Find out more and sign up at http://mentornet.net
- NIH has launched a National Research Mentoring Network. Find out more and sign up at https://nrmnet.net
- The Library is excited to alert graduate students that a library paging service is now available. Simply identify an item of interest in the online catalog, hit ‘Request’, enter your barcode number and Library PIN, and choose your pickup location. For available UCSD Library items, Library staff will find them for you and place them at your selected pickup location (either Geisel or BLB Front Desks, or SIO for eligible users) for you to pick up. The item will be available typically within 24 hours. Contact (858) 534-0134 or LibraryBorrowing@ucsd.edu with any questions or comments about this service.
- Communicating Science (ComSciCon) Workshop for graduate students! Applications are still open for ComSciCon 2017, the 5th annual Communicating Science workshop, to be held in Cambridge, MA on June 8-10th 2017. Graduate students at U.S. institutions in all fields of science, technology, engineering, health, mathematics, and related fields are encouraged to apply. The application closes on March 1st. For more information and to apply, please go here
- Check out the Excel with Integrity Contest, Academic Integrity Webinars, and Peer Recruitment here!
- Sign up to join a campus program for research mentoring of women in STEM. You may sign up as both a mentee and a mentor. All female students, postdocs, staff, faculty, emeriti, and alumni are welcome.Details are at: http://stemmentor.ucsd.edu
- Craft with GradWISE! At the end of a rainy and (mentally/emotionally) stressful winter quarter, come craft and meet fellow graduate students from different departments while making Dream Boards. Children welcome! Meet us on Friday, 3/3/17 at 3:00 pm at the Old Student Center, Graduate Student Lounge
Bring pictures and magazines that make you feel empowered, or resemble your dreams to put on your board. We’ll have extra magazines and all other materials.
Coffee, tea, and snacks will be served! Thanks to GSA for funding family friendly programming!
- You’re invited: ‘Ignite’ ideas at UC San Diego, Feb. 22. For more information or to register, please go here.
- Earn a Well-Being Leadership Award from the Zone! Get involved in this great program! For more information, please see the flyer here!
- WE’RE SETTING UP A CAMPUS-WIDE ARTS, HUMANITIES, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES-BASED GROUP TO ESTABLISH MENTORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES, NETWORKING EVENTS, AND SOCIAL HOURS TO GIVE YOU A SENSE OF COMMUNITY. LET US KNOW IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. For more information, go togoo.gl/W3TOqV. Please see the flyer here
- The Writing + Critical Expression Hub will be hosting three graduate writing retreats this quarter. These retreats offer graduate students dedicated space and time to work on large writing projects, as well as the opportunity to connect with peers from other departments, mini-lessons on creating sustainable writing habits, and snacks to fuel their writing. Dates, times, and RSVP forms for this quarter’s retreats can be found on the Graduate Student section of our events page: http://commons.ucsd.edu/students/writing/events/index.html. Please see the flyer here, for more information.
- The Academic Integrity Office is currently looking for caring, responsible, and enthusiastic students to join our team as Integrity Peer Educators! Integrity Peer Educators take part in a variety of activities, from helping to facilitate seminars and advising students, to taking part in outreach events. They have opportunities to develop their communication, presentation, organization, and leadership skills; alongside having a lot of fun and bonding with a close group of other peer educators! This is a CCR approved professional development opportunity as well as a way to make friends, help your fellow students, and be a part of something on campus. If you have at least one year remaining at UCSD and a desire to learn, grow, and get more involved on our campus, becoming an Integrity Peer Educator may be right for you! http://academicintegrity.ucsd.edu/take-action/get-involved/peer-educators.html. Please see the flyer here, for more information
- GROUP ACUPUNCTURE at Student Health Friday, March 3rd – register now! Group acupuncture sessions at Student Health are one hour sessions (up to 3 students per session) with a licensed acupuncturist, provided exclusively for registered UCSD students. If you are interested in attending, please complete the interest form by completing the form: https://goo.gl/forms/1bfUtlRAI0cBojDF3 and a staff member will contact you to provide specific times and confirm your attendance.
- Location: Student Health Services, on Library Walk across from Price Center. Go to 2nd Floor Conference Room (Murray’s Place) – enter by outer stairway on parking lot side (west) to 2nd floor
- Date: Friday, March 3, 2017
- Cost: $20.00 – billed to your student account
- No Show Fee: $20.00 (if not canceled 24 hours prior)